HIDE your face (kyonomiko) wrote,
HIDE your face

Senpu's gone now

He went very peacefully at the vet's office. It was horrible to watch. I knew I wanted to be there, because it was the kind of thing I'd regret if I didn't. I didn't like watching him go, though. Even though it was fast and quiet, I start crying every time I think about those long seconds when the needle went in. She was so slow and gentle and careful about it. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about my vet. The worst part was watching the drugs kick in, though. I am not sure what is in the syringe, but I'm pretty sure there's a really strong paralytic in there. When he relaxed, his tounge rolled out and his eyes just glazed over. Shortly after, I heard one exhale, and that was it. They let us pet him one last time before they took him, and that was it.

I thanked the vet for eveyrthing she'd done for him, and for gently ending his pain. I think everyone in the practice was a little choked up. I'm not sure, but it seems like they didn't schedule any appointments at all immediately before us, because when we went in the entire practice was strangely quiet, and no other pet owners were around. The techs that saw him often were all a little red-eyed, and it was all around just sad. We were not charged for the service, and the receptionist said it was because everyone knew we had done everything we could for him. I am thankful for the little things.

The rest of the day was rough. I couldn't stay in the house. When we got home, Matt and I just held each other for a while, but I did not take off my coat. I packed a bunch of stuff in the car and just got OUT. I really couldn't keep myself together, though. I was crying the entire time I was in the car. Not wracking sobs, but it just wouldn't stop. I tried so hard not to think of his little pink tounge coming out of his mouth, or how he cried when I put him in the carrier before we left. He didn't cry in the car, though. Matt and I both thought it was really strange. He always cried in the car.

I donated Senpu's medication and a bunch of pedialyte back to the Vet's office. She said the medication could go to families that could't afford their own. It wasn't much, so it may only help one person, but they said they can always use the pedialyte.

I packed up all his leftover canned food and took it down to Fuzzy Freinds, the shelter where we found him. I felt a little better knowing that it would do other cats some good in the same place that saved Senpu. When we adopted him, we found out that his litter was found in a box under a bridge without the mother. He was the only one left, and we weren't even planning on getting a cat until they took him out of the cage and he crawled all over Matt.

I didn't think anyone was going to talk to me at the shelter. I spent a long time moving all the food from my reusable shopping tote to the donation bin. I was internally getting a little angry, because I felt like everyone needed to know how great Senpu was and why they were getting the food. Ultimately, I had to track someone down anyway because I wasn't sure if they wanted the open Hills Science k/d kidney food. Nugget loves that stuff, but I'd rather give it to a cat that actually has kidney problems, you know? -..-

Well, I should have just left, because as soon as I opened my mouth to ask about the dry food, I just started bawling. I really should have waited to bring the food down there, but I couldn't stay in the house. I needed to just not be there for a while.

I stayed and played with the cats. A crazy cat lady gave me a big hug. I know I am not ready for another cat yet. I have Nugget. Maybe one day, I will find her a freind, but not now. None of those cats were Senpu. The employee thought I might feel better if she showed me a few cats that looked a little like Senpu, but they didn't, really. The eye color was wrong, or the size was wrong.. and none of them had that same spark of intelligence behind the eyes. I didn't want to look at cats with markings like his.

I did see a cat that looked remarkably like Derreck, though. He seemed to want to come home with me too, but I just pet him and left. They understood me there, but I still had to go to the pet store and buy more urine remover.

You see, Senpu had a UTI on top of everything else, and he peed all over our bed when we brought him home on Monday. To combat this, I put down the bathroom rugs in the guest bath. He will always pee on a rug in that bathroom no matter what. Even if he is feeling well. So.. down went the rugs. It kept our bed from getting peed on, but he took at least two dozen trips to those rugs before he went to the vet for the final time yesterday. I was out of solution to dissolve the enzymes, so I had to go to the pet store yesterday.

In the cat adoption center there, I looked at cats. Not to take home.. but somehow I thought petting them might make me feel a little better. All the cats were black, except for one 5yr old grey one in the corner. A black one with white spots was very affectionate. His name was Steve. Seriously? Who the hell names a cat Steve?

After that, I picked up some stuff at the grocery store. I felt like I was going through the place in a haze. I'd try to smile at strangers so they wouldn't give me strange looks, but I didn't really feel like I was all that aware of what was going on. I was just trying to get enough stuff for dinner for the next day or two and keep myself together until I got home.

When I came back, Matt and I held each other some more and I told him about everything I'd done. We'd both been crying.

Ray came home from a meeting shortly afterwards. I was thankful for that, because I didn't really feel like cooking. I still don't. It's almost lunch time, and I haven't had anything but an apple today. I only ate the apple because I thought maybe I should eat SOMETHING when I went to the kitchen to get water. I can feel my stomach growling a little bit, but I just don't care.

I've been crying most of the morning, too. I hate it. I feel restless, but I don't really want to do anything, either. Nugget doesn't seem to notice that Senpu is even gone. I woke up this morning at 5:30 and couldn't go back to sleep, so I just cried until Matt woke up. We both messed with Nugget, and he went on to work for the day. Now I'm alone. Nugget is napping on a different bathmat, because she is a moron. (Matt's mom brought a new one with her last time she visited. I had it put away until this morning. It's plush and soft. Nugget thinks it's her mom, and lays on it while sucking on the plush bits. That cat is dumb as hell)

Sure, Senpu was just a cat, but to me he was a very special cat. I love Nugget, don't get me wrong. But she's not that special. Maybe special ed. Senpu was a singular feline. I'm going to miss him terribly. Every time I see Nugget walk into the corner of my vision, I do a double take, because it's not the cat I was expecting. I know he's gone, but it's hard to go from room to room and see the places he'd usually lay and not see him there. It's really hard thinking about all the small things we'd do to accomodate him. I am not going to miss his daily medication or special food mixes or any of his illness related stuff. But...

It hurt when I realized I could put the bathrugs down after washing them without having to worry that they'd get peed on. (Nugget just sniffed them on Tues, then used the box anyway. She is a good cat sometimes.)

I was picking up cat toys and saw the little plastic card box on the floor in the living room and damned near lost it. When he was a kitten, Senpu loved to chew on cords. To keep him from gnawing on the speaker/fan cords that plugged into the floor, Matt took a hard, clear plastic card box and cut a hole in the side. That way, the plugs could feed through and we wouldn't worry about them getting ruined, or Senpu getting electrocuted. I suppose I can take that off of there and throw it away now.

His fur is still everywhere.. on the black chair where he used to sleep, the curtains he used to walk behing, etc. I am still finding little fur tumbleweeds in the corners, too.

I really want to deep clean the house right now and get rid of every bit of it. I want to vaccum it all up and not have to look at it or think about how I'll be picking his fur out of things for the next two decades. I want it all to be gone, but I just don't feel that motivated to do anything right now.

I kind of wish I still had a workout partner. I need to workout today. My rational brain tells me I should work out, because the endorphins will help me feel better. Also, I ate a lot of candy yesterday. Instead, I've just been moping around in my PJs, drinking water and crying a lot. I hate this. There's nothing I would have done differently with him. It is what it is, and I'm ok with that. I just want to stop crying at the drop of a hat and missing him so damned much. I want to get on with things, get the house cleaned up, and go back to everyday life. But... for the last 12 1/2 years, Senpu WAS everyday life. He was there when Matt worked nights and I was all alone in a house that made strange noises. He's been there, licking up my tears every time I was upset about something. Now, all I have is a Nugget that meows at me and wants food. I miss my buddy. I knew all his little quirks and idiosyncracies. I knew what would upset him, and what not to do if I wanted him to stay and cuddle.

Heck.. he's always loved eating things cats shouldn't. Yesterday when I had lunch, I gave him a big glob of cream cheese with chives. Cats aren't supposed to get onions. Onions and garlic can cause kidney failure. But I knew putting any food in that cat was a useless gesture since we would just be losing him later in the day. I just wanted to try to make him happy and see him get excited about something.. instead of hiding in the corner and feeling awful because of his health problems.

I'm sorry, but I can't be buggered to LJ cut this. I'm done typing for now.


    Yaaaay! The con is over! Time to get ready for the next one! Sometimes, twitter just cannot contain all the things I want to say about a subject.…

  • Oh wow, I haven't blogged in forever!

    I kind of forget about Livejournal now. It feels so empty that I've joined a bunch of communities, but it's not really helping! Since November,…

  • November is almost over already?!?!

    I've really enjoyed not having anything important to do for a while. I've been cleaning (a little bit), quilting (a lot, but in short bursts), and…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.